Not going to lie, I’ve left all of my holiday shopping to the last minute. Have not bought one gift. But living in Kingston, we are surrounded by the best locally owned shops in the cutest downtown and I know it won’t take long for me to find what I need and treat myself to a nice lunch along the way. If you follow my blog, you probably already know, but I want to give you five reasons why I shop local – specifically downtown Kingston.
1. Good Vibes: Have you walked through Springer Market Square lately? It’s like walking through a holiday episode of the Gilmore Girls. Couples and family’s skating on the glistening ice framed by the 11 foot Christmas tree and the beautiful City Hall building. The scenic view gets me in the holiday spirit every time.
2. Great Shops and Vendors: The beautiful brick and mortar shops have more to offer than their awesome aesthetic. They are filled with one-of-a-kind items and helpful staff that can help point you in the right direction. And the Holiday Market at the corner of Brock and Wellington is filled with so many talented makers with perfect gifts for all of your loved ones. Things I have my eyes on right now that will make great gifts: olive oils from Kingston Olive Oil Company, gift cards from The Refinery, adorable planters at The Jungle and beautiful handmade earrings by Sherry Jeffery at the Holiday Market.
3. Tasty Pit Stops: It’s impossible to not work up an appetite while you’re on the hunt for the best gifts. It’s a perfect excuse to stop in to any of the many restaurants downtown has to offer and rest your feet while grabbing a bite to eat. A few of my favourite spots to re-energize: NORTHSIDE, Stone City Ales, Sally’s Roti Shop, Tango Nuevo and Atomica.
4. Helps our local Economy: When you buy your gifts in town, you’re supporting our local economy and helping Kingston become an even better place to live. Local shop owners do the most for our community and this is a perfect time of year to show them how much we appreciate them!
5. Fresh Air: Listen, I love a good online shopping spree. But it’s nice to put on pants, get outside and stretch your legs every once in a while. I love a trip downtown because you can jump store to store and get fresh air in between!
I’ve teamed up with Downtown Kingston to give away a $50 gift card to your favourite store! Keep your eye on my instagram for the announcement.
One thought on “Downtown Kingston: 5 Reasons I Will Shop Local This Holiday”
I much prefer downtown Kingston. So many lovely stores. Cookes. Kingston Olive Oil. General Brock’s Commissary. Van der Voorts.Tara, etc etc.